Notre-Dame de Calais
The Flemish and English styles
The Flemish style is represented by the foliated capitals inside the church, and by bands with
pointed arches and corbel bartizans.

The English style is mainly represented by the bell-tower at the transept crossing, the flat
chevet, the wood panelled vaults, the Tudor style basket-handled arches and the higher
windows in the nave.
The western front
It consists of a large gothic former window 
between sturdy buttresses.

Following the filling of the river of Guines in 1702,
a main doorway was opened, and the  window
was walled to allow the setting up of the organ
in the 1730s.
Northern transept and the reservoir
Northern transept :
the two towers with arrow slits and
thick walls show evidence of defensive

The reservoir
Water from the church roof runs into a
huge reservoir which dates from the
17 C (1691) and was built on the order of
Louis XIV by Vauban, his famous military
architect and engineer, in order to provide
the garrison and the population with water.
Its walls are from 2 to 4 m thick and it can
contain as much as 1800 m3.
It was listed in 1927.
The bell tower
The bell tower is 58m high. It dates from the 15 C.
It consists of a square base topped with a two
level octogonal spire.

Watchmen used to live on the 1st level until 1846
and  the second level encloses 4 bells, one of which
weighs 2.8 tons.
The Chapel of the Holy Heart
Built in 1635, it is now used as a vestry.
Tudor style mullion windows are to be noticed. The Seigneur de Gourdan-the governor
or of Calais : Ginault de Mauleon is buried here.
Through the wall, steps lead to a former private gallery opening out onto the St James